Specialisation in Seismology

Most scientists at the SED have an MSc or PhD in geophysics. If you, too, would like to become a seismologist, the SED recommends that you gain an MSc in Earth Sciences at ETH Zurich, majoring in geophysics. Those students who want a more international profile can opt for ETH Zurich's Joint Master in Applied Geophysics, where the teaching is split three, equal ways between ETH Zurich, RWTH Aachen University (Germany) and Delft University of Technology (The Netherlands).

After successfully completing your studies you can complete a PhD in seismology. The SED is usually supervising between 8 and 12 doctoral students at any one time. Find out here whether there are any current openings for PhD students at the SED.

In this video, seismologists talk about their studies (in their respective mother tongue) and explain what future students can look forward to. In addition, they provide insights into their day-to-day professional life.